Monday, June 19, 2006

The Legend of the Vegetable Lamb of Tartary



"THE MOST NOTEWORTHY THING ABOUT GARDENERS IS THAT THEY ARE ALWAYS OPTIMISTIC, ALWAYS ENTERPRISING AND NEVER SATISFIED. THEY ALWAYS LOOK FORWARD TO DOING SOMETHING BETTER THAN THEY HAVE EVER DONE BEFORE"
Vita-Sackville West

Ok , after an exceeding heavy night of debauchery with david ( I am going to name him "evil David" in the same vein as our belovedly naughty "evil spoolia") - for those of you that dont know spools - she has accquired this nickname because everytime I go out with her she gets me very drunk on nice wine!

Anyway - feeling a little seedy, I decided to walk along the river (aka Southbank) up to Lambeth bridge, then across to Westminister, ending up meeting Yasas at Embankment Station!

TODAYS'S HIGHTLIGHT:
All my horty friends will be so impressed - I went to the Lambeth Museum of Garden History and learnt all about 17th Century knot gardens! Then I came across the vegetable lamb of tartary (see pic)

"The Vegetable Lamb of Tartary is a semi-legendary plant of central Asia, believed to grow sheep as its fruit. Although it owed its currency in medieval thought as a way of explaining the existence of cotton, underlying the myth is a real plant, Polypodium borametz L. It was known under various other names including the Scythian Lamb, the Borometz, and the Borametz."

WOW! Who has time for a job when there is so much in the world to learn and see! What an adventure it is to be alive! I have decided my new job title is:
"Lily Martin - Discoverer of Unusual Things!"

No comments: